Five before Midnight

This site is dedicated to the continuous oversight of the Riverside(CA)Police Department, which was formerly overseen by the state attorney general. This blog will hopefully play that role being free of City Hall's micromanagement.
"The horror of that moment," the King went on, "I shall never, never forget." "You will though," the Queen said, "if you don't make a memorandum of it." --Lewis Carroll

Contact: fivebeforemidnight@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: RiverCity, Inland Empire

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Going public...

When I started this blog, my intention was mostly to store material and articles obtained in research done on the Riverside Police Department since the stipulated agreement began between this agency and the city on March 6, 2001.

This past week, the address of this blog, which previously had been private, was obtained by employees of the police department and one of them posted some disturbing comments in response to one of the entries on this blog. It is not known how employees of the Riverside Police Department obtained the address of this blog, but they have and began posting on this blog beginning with "Kevin" who prayed that in an example of beautiful poetic justice, I or a member of my family would be a victim of a violent crime, then he described the perpetrator of that crime and insinuated that it would occur near where I live. He also stated in his comments that the Eastside, a community populated by Black and Hispanic populations, should be turned over to Animal Control. When he discovered who he was talking to, he backtracked and began explaining away his prior comments. But despite that, I did learn something when I read his comments and if he wishes to continue to share his views, then he is welcome. He has created some fear in my heart towards him, but I am willing to put that aside and allow him to voice his opinions...while exercising precautions of course.

Since he appeared, other people have appeared both in my defense and in opposition, all anomynous. I have appreciated their contributions to this site, even though initially I felt as I would if my kid brother had stolen my journal and was reading it on the playground. But it has been interesting reading their comments. I think it's been educational as well and they also provide an education to other potential readers.

However, now that the blog has been visited by members of the police department and some civilians who have easier access to criminal reports including investigative reports(confidential) than most civilians, it seems that the time has come to go public with this blog so that everyone can read it. Not just members of the RPD and their friends.

With the city and the state scheduled to part ways next March, this blog will continue to be a place where issues pertaining to the department and the stipulated agreement will be discussed. One anomynous poster brought up the topic of the proportion of officers in a particular racial group in the department, which is a topic to be addressed as well. As is staffing issues.

Even union elections.

I will be asking questions of those who respond as well, and it is their decision of whether or not to answer them.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always admired your courage and integrity. But after today's entry in the "Shhhh...don't look!" discussion, I'm in awe. I'm certain that this blog will be a valuable resource to the community. Keep up the good work!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking over your website. I've noticed there are many grammatical and spelling errors. Can you please proofread/spell check your work before posting? It will be much easier to read. This is an intellectual reflection of the Blog owner, Mary Shelton. If this was stock, it wouldn't be worth much.

Sincerely,
Concern Riverside Citizen

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:49:00 PM  
Blogger Five Before Midnight said...

Thanks concerned Riverside Citizen for your feed back. You know, if you ever get tired of law enforcement, copy editing is a great field for you. You use clear, concise prose and have a real flare for punctuation usage. You probably have received high marks on your evaluations for writing police reports. You would make a great tutor in that skill.

It's always gratifying to know that we do have a police force where the majority of our officers actually live in the city they police. Now if we could just get a couple of them to move in more racially diverse neighborhoods. Progress comes slowly, however.



P.S. Just one little thing: The word, website is actually spelled Web site.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 3:15:00 PM  
Blogger Five Before Midnight said...

Dear RPD:

Damn, I don't have a scanner. Could you sell me a used one? My television just does not pick up your radio traffic like it used to!

also, question:

I did listen to a scanner once 10 years ago and heard talk about hair and breast. Is that code talk for something?

Just curious,

P.S. You boys are just cracking me up...:-)

p.s.s. Any luck with the Gandhi quote yet?

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 3:19:00 PM  
Blogger Five Before Midnight said...

Oh, I forgot, there has not ever been an RPD officer who has made sexist or racist comments while on duty in the department's history, because of the zero tolerance policy the city has in place would have mandated reporting it, so scratch that last question.

Here's another:

Question, if you did hear an officer tell a racist or sexist joke while on duty would you report it to your supervisor?


a) if that racial or gender joke involved your racial or gender group

b) if that racial or gender joke involved another racial or gender group

Have a nice day,

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 4:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older